Friday, November 16, 2007

Puzzlemania

It recently dawned on me that if you didn't know much about law school and my blog was your only foray into the legal world, you might think "Wow, law school doesn't seem so bad! These cases are pretty interesting and so entertaining! What are all those "sleep deprived" students complaining about?

In preemptive response, here is an excerpt from my civil procedure reading from this week. You'll notice that none of the cases I have discussed to date have anything to do with civpro. This might explain why.

"This controversy questions the constitutional sufficiency of notice to beneficiaries on judicial settlement of accounts by the trustee of a common trust fund established under the New York Banking Law, Consol. Laws. c. 2. The New York Court of Appeals considered and overruled objections that the statutory notice contravenes requirements of the Fourteenth Amendment and that by allowance of the account beneficiaries were deprived of property without due process of law. The case is here on appeal under 28 U.S.C. § 1257."

Hopefully this has not driven you to never read this blog again. Sorry for inflicting my pain on you. But when you are stuck in the library reading 80 pages of this stuff for the week, you sort of start to lose it. At first I though civpro was going to be like a puzzle and that yeah, it was tough at first but once we got more pieces it would all start to come together. What has happened though is that we HAVE gotten more pieces (too many) but those pieces are all upside down - cardboard side up. And every time you THINK you may have fit two of those pieces together, along comes a child or a dog, or another chapter and messes the whole thing up.

I could go on with this analogy. It's a lot more interesting to me than long arm statutes. But my puzzle calls...

2 comments:

brc said...

sufficiency...of...to...on...of...by ...of...under....

This is literally the longest chain of prepositional phrases I have ever read.

Anonymous said...

Hey. You don't know me, I'm a friend of Emily Boland. She directed me to your blog, and I have to say thanks for writing it.

I'm in grad school getting an MFA in Visual Art, and its so frustrating and exhausting and it breaks you down to this pile of pieces of information...and, well I needn't say more because you seem to put it well.

Well wishes...