Thursday, October 27, 2011

No sick! NO SICK!

Ok, I haven't posted in a while and I feel like I have wanted to for so many things (i.e. last minute entry into the Baltimore half marathon for training, discovering Arlington Cemetery by foot, finally making it to the new MLK Jr. Memorial via a long run, etc).  Maybe one day I will catch up BUT right now I need a safe space to say I am SO NERVOUS -- not for the race (well, ok that too, but not this second) but because I got sick two days ago and I am supposed to do my 20 mile run this weekend and I am scared that my stupid sickness is going to ruin my training.

This is probably the most important run in the whole training schedule -- it's the longest run you do before the race and then you taper for a few weeks.  It's so important that it be this weekend, too, because you dont want it too close to the actual race.  And running 20 miles on a monday or tuesday would just be crazypants. Crazypants, I tell you.

So, I worked from home today and drank a lot of tea and water and just tried not to move.  Conserve energy and only get up to pee.  What's so crazy to me is that yesterday morning I wasn't feeling so hot but I still managed to get a nice run of 10 miles in.   How can our bodies manage that?!  So maybe even if I am not feeling awesome on Sunday (already pushed this from Saturday to Sunday... but it's also maybe supposed to SNOW in DC on Saturday and be beautiful on Sunday, so that's a no-brainer anyway) then I will still be able to do it?  And just be sick a few more days as a result... BUT get the run in?  Do I sound like an addict right now?  I need to get this run in!

Maybe the bright side of all of this is that my sickly body is actually getting me to BEG to do a 20 mile run.  Rather than fear it or dread it, I just honestly hope that I can be healthy enough to do it!

I've got about 60 hours.  Please send vitamin C thoughts and zinc dreams my way!

No comments: